Pumpkin Pie, an excellent way to use up those leftover Halloween pumpkins and enjoy a delicious treat!
- Shortcrust pastry (a shop bought sweet pastry case will work just as well)
- 300g plain flour
- 150g unsalted butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 750g pumpkins peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 140g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 25g melted butter
- 175ml milk
- Shortcrust Pastry Rub flour and butter together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in icing sugar then add the egg yolks to combine.
- If pastry seems too crumbly add 1-2 tbsp cold water until dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes before use.
- Preheat oven to 160.
- Roll out pastry and line a 20cm loose bottom tart tin.
- Line the pastry cae with greaseproof paper and baking beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10 mins.
- Lift out and allow to cool.
For the Filling
- Boil the pumpkin chunks in a large pot of water for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and mix together the sugar, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl, mash the pumpkin then push through a sieve so it is well puréed.
- Mix the eggs, butter and milk and add to the dry ingredients.
- Add this mixture to the pumpkin purée and combine well.
- Pour into the tart case and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 160 degrees and bake for a further 30-35 minutes or until filling has set.
- Leave to cool then dust with icing sugar and serve chilled with freshly whipped cream.